The Victorian Children’s Continence Clinic (formerly known as The Control Centre) has been established to complement the services of The Children’s Surgery.
It is a multi-disciplinary service for children of all ages with urinary and/or faecal incontinence ( enuresis, encopresis, day or night wetting, soiling) of congenital or acquired origin.
The Victorian Children’s Continence Clinic offers skilled assessment of bladder and bowel dysfunction using state of the art equipment by qualified and experienced paediatric continence Physiotherapsits. The management is evidence based and promotes the philosophy of the International Children’s Continence Society. The emphasis is on quality and sensitive care of children and families.
Appropriate conditions include:-
- Constipation / faecal retention (soiling)
- Day wetting, urinary urgency, urge incontinence, incomplete bladder emptying
- Bed wetting – primary or secondary, refractory to treatment
- Recurrent uriniary tract infections, wetting associated with Vesico-Ureteric Reflux
- Children with developmental and continence problems
Depending on the assessment, interventions may include:
- Education of parents and child
- Toileting programs
- Pelvic floor muscle training / relaxation
- Bio feedback
- Teaching correct voiding / defecation muscle dynamics
- Bedwetting alarm programs
- Neuromodulation (TENS, Interferential)
- Liaison with kindergartens and schools
- Referral to medical or other specialist and services
Children with problems of more than six months duration managed by a GP and Specialist are eligible for an EPC programme to see the continence Physiotherapists.